Our network

2 people die in Jeffersonville house fire | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

2 people die in Jeffersonville house fire
News


Two people are dead after a fire destroyed their Twiggs County home early Sunday morning.

According to Georgia Fire Commissioner spokesman Glenn Allen, at 2:50 Sunday morning, a home at 379 D Street in Jeffersonville caught fire. Two of the home's occupants, 75-year-old Elizabeth Odom and 79-year-old Herschel S. Odom, died in the fire. The couple's grandson, 25-year-old Mario Odom, was able to escape the fire.

ID=24837821

Allen said the fire had engulfed the home when the Twiggs Volunteer Fire Department arrived on the scene.

The family says the couple was married for nearly six decades, and not even a fire could break their bond.

"God wants the best. And he knows how they felt about each other. They want to be together so he didn't separate them. He took both of them together" said Herschel Odom's sister Estella Sams.

Sams, who lives next door to the couple, says Mario Odom, woke her up, screaming about the fire. "Well we went to the back door back there where we always go to enter the house and when we opened that door, the fire just gush out."

The fire was accidentally caused by an electrical malfunction in the home's bedroom.

Allen said the home also had no working smoke alarm.

The bodies of both victims have been taken to a State crime lab for autopsies.


News

Twiggs Businesses